Thursday, January 26, 2006

Drowning not waving

Okay, I admit it. Writing that short story for the Scotsman competition isn't that easy.

The theme is work. I've been working all my life and I'm fifty-bloody-seven. So I know a lot about work. And they say you should write about what you know. Trouble is, if you do that it's hard to make the thing sing. You kind of get bogged down in dull factuality.

I think it would be better to write about something completely different, where I could bring no experience to bear. Stretch my imagination. And boy, does it need stretching.

So at the moment I'm teetering on the edge, not quite ready to dive in. Actually, I don't want to be ready anyway. I want to overbalance and plunge in at the deep end and have to swim for my life, risking drowning.

No comments:

Post a Comment