Monday, July 24, 2006

On being robbed

While I was away I discovered I had been robbed.

Someone had stolen my identity while I was in Prague a few weeks back. As a result they were able to access an online account for one of my credit cards. They knew my date of birth, my mother's maiden name, where I worked. They cracked my passwords. They diverted e-mails sent to me to their own address. They phoned the credit card company and attempted to obtain additional information about me. They started using my card.

This is pretty scary stuff believe me. Fortunately, the credit card company realised something was up. For a start, they didn't think I spoke in a foreign accent.

What worries me was how the thief had found out all that information about me. Had I revealed too much on this blog? I'm not sure. Maybe they got hold of my birth certificate. Most worryingly of all, perhaps they're still here, lurking silently in the depths of my computer, a cancerous virus pulsing malevolently, waiting to pounce once more.

As I've said before, it's a dangerous world out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment