Friday, July 07, 2006

Trouble and strife

While I was away camelling in the desert my wife was in Boston presenting a paper at a scientific conference.

Whe she returned to work there was a letter on her desk from the University authorities confirming her appointment as a Professor.

J., or Professor J as I am now honoured to call her, was naturally delighted. She's a truly remarkable woman and this is the culmination of a life spent dedicated to teaching and research. The fact that she achieved promotion as a non-clinician in a clinical department, and despite the accident of birth that makes her a woman, made the eventual recognition of her talents all the sweeter.

I don't know anyone who works harder than the Prof. Her work is truly a vocation. Her students adore her. So do I. To say I'm proud of her is a gross understatement.

She's a pretty good wife and mother too. She has a bright, sunny disposition. We never argue. She never complains about anything, eschews gossip. She doesn't have a bad bone in her body. Oh, and she laughs at my jokes. She's also a brilliant cook. She's better read than I am. She adores Jane Austen. Enjoys Trollope, the Brontes, anything modern that's well written. For relaxation she reads Ian Rankin, le Carre and Wodehouse.

She's a classic beauty. She has a wide circle of friends. Her children love her deeply.

Okay, I can hear the question forming in your minds. What the hell does she see in me? I've asked her that a few times. We met as students. It was, she says, chemistry. Sexual chemistry. I was handsome, charming and witty. I had a string of girlfriends. I had a reputation. When I met her that all ended. I've often thought that in many ways I conned her into marrying me. Exchanging gold for glitter. I definitely got the best of the bargain.

Of course, as I've said before, being married to a saint isn't easy. In A Half Life of One the hero complains about "being trapped in a happy marriage". Her perfection has robbed me of so many plotlines it's untrue. How selfish is that?

Still, this time I forgive her. And tonight I'll be raising a glass of champagne to celebrate her success. She deserves it and more. Much, much more.

8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops dredfulll speeling, starte agayne.

    Bill, you are a lovely man, you two are obviously a soul match - don't put yourself down! Your lovely wife made her choice and you made yours - live with it, love with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:44 pm

    Couldn't say it better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My goodness! She sounds fine, but you sound wonderful! What a nice man to say such lovely things about your wife - in PUBLIC! Bless your heart. No wonder she's taken with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous3:10 pm

    Clearly, your wife is a saint!

    You should let her read those nice comments! I expect you'd have a great Saturday night!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I suppose you must be scottish, Pundy? Can't imagine an Englishman writing such lovely heartfelt things.
    If the only down thing you can say about this friendship is that it has removed some potential material, then that isn't half bad. Material is available anywhere, I guess (especially in your comments!), whereas long and happy marriages are somewhat rarer, I suspect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous4:58 am

    Looks nice! Awesome content. Good job guys.
    »

    ReplyDelete